Wednesday, October 15, 2008

the day you were born....

So, since baby is sleeping and I have a few moments, let me tell everyone the story of his birth. I went into labor at 3am on October 3rd. I thought they were more Braxton Hicks contractions at first, but I wasn't able to fall back asleep and they were stronger than any 'false' contraction I had ever had. I walked around the house, drank water, practiced my breathing and waited to wake Levi up. (For those of you that know Levi his least favorite number on the PLANET is three, so I thought that waking him up at 3AM on the 3rd would just about give him the big one...) I waited until 6AM to wake him up and he was really excited. I continued walking around the house, called Tracey and Barbara and Carrie and told them to come over as soon as they would like to. We then left a message for Claudia, one of our midwives, and spoke on the phone with Jen, our other midwife. At this point, my body was getting rid of everything out of every orifice possible. Levi has never seen me blow chunks, so that freaked him out a little....although the body fluids he would later see would far surpass a little vomit.....

Claudia and the assistant midwife, Katie, showed up at the house around 10AM. They set up the house with their supplies and then told me that they would leave for a few hours in order to let me get to the next stage of labor....I guess that saying 'a watched pot never boils' also applies to labor :) My contraction began to get stronger after they left and I went in the shower for some relief. Claudia and Katie came back around noon and Jen arrived around 1PM. We had the birthing tub set up in our room, and I was eager to get into that thing for some more relief. I ended up getting into the tub around 2:30PM or so, and it felt FABULOUS. It was so warm and feeling weightless really helped me get through the contractions. I started pushing....wait, don't get excited yet because there ended up being 4 hours of that said pushing before Lennox came into the world....

I progressed quickly to 10 centimeters in the tub and I began pushing. We found out fairly quickly that my water sac (which had not broken) was actually coming out simultaneously with baby. This happened to be rare, and so I was pushing and it evidently looked like a water balloon that continued to move in and out as if it were inflating. After a few hours of this, I began to get slightly discouraged. I got out of the tub and sat on the toilet and tried to empty my bladder. I then asked Jen what some options were since I felt like pushing wasn't really getting me anywhere. She suggested that I find a different place to push and she would feel how I was progressing during my next contraction. So, I decided to get on the bed, and try pushing while laying on my side, holding my right leg up. Levi asked if I wanted him to hold my leg for me, and I proceeded to tell him 'no' yet dropped my leg.....obviously exhausted and disoriented, my wonderful husband took matters into his own hands and lifted my leg for me. Jen began putting on a glove and was preparing to check to see how my pushing was progressing and I decided that I needed to get this baby out into this world so I didn't have to have another hand feeling around up there :) So after a few more hours, I began pushing and could feel that the pressure had changed to a burning sensation and I knew that he was coming into the world. I began pushing very intensely and the midwives began putting on gloves and preparing to help little man into the world. Evidently, Lennox had his own ideas about that....when they turned around he was instantly out to his waist with one push! They turned back around and assisted him out the rest of the way and it was like he came out on a water slide since my water sac broke with him entering the world! Thank goodness for his umbilical cord, or else that dude would have flown off the bed :)

The midwives put him on my chest and cannot even describe the sensation of seeing him for the first time. It was like every thing around me was quiet except for him and I and the room felt like it was spinning. I was crying and kissing him, and the midwives were working on getting every thing settled with him. His little arms were like 'linguine' arms at first, but he started to pink right up and move his arms on his own. His lungs were working quite fine, let me tell you, but he had some mucus in his lungs. They got the mucus out and then gave him a little oxygen to make sure all was well. Levi in the mean time, was ankle deep in 'fluids' and was about ready to lose his mind. He was also convinced that our son's 'cone head' was going to stay like that for all of eternity....these are the differences between mom's and dad's :)

We all sat around with him and then my father in law arrived with pizza and champagne for everyone. It was phenomenal. I was on cloud nine and felt as though I was floating. I wasn't even tired!!! Levi cut the umbilical cord after about 45 minutes and I was able to see the placenta and find out the information on which side was near the baby and which side was attached to me. The midwives then cleaned little man up, and weighed and measured him. He was 8lbs, 12oz, 21 3/4 inches long, blue/grey eyes, brown hair, long legs, and a cute little dimple on his butt :)

That night I could not sleep because I was just staring at him all night. I was in awe of this little human that Levi and I created--this little person that is fully reliant on us, and is looking to us to learn how to exist. Such responsibility. I was amazed by the experience. I am so thankful that I was able to have my sweet little baby at home, with the people that I love and admire surrounding me. My mother in law, my sister in law, my best friend, my husband and our midwives were all amazing in their support and encouragement. I couldn't have planned it any better......I am smitten :)

Some of the 400 pictures (yea, that is not a typo, seriously, she took 400 pictures) that Carrie took will be posted soon.....keep checking back!!

No comments:

the lovely ladies

the lovely ladies
my wonderful friends!

me and daz

the hostess with the mostess

Tracey, me and Ma

ultrasound 34 weeks

ultrasound 34 weeks
lennox henson