Thursday, October 2, 2008

october 2, 2008....the DUE date

Soooooo, here it is October 2 already and no baby. I read that only 5% of babies are born on their due date. That means odds are he will not be here today! Due dates are pretty ridiculous anyway, these babies don't really work on schedules no matter who makes them.... :)

Yesterday I went to the first monthly Born at Home Community Potluck. My midwives put the whole event on and it is going to fall on the first Wednesday of every month. The potluck is held at Javalounge on 16th street and it is a way for all of us to keep in touch, talk with other mothers that had home births and stay in contact with our midwives after our babies pass the 6 week mark :) It was sooooo much fun. It started at 11am and allegedly ended at 3pm, but I didn't get home until after 4. I loved talking with all the other mothers since I don't know anyone personally who has had a home birth. It was wonderful hearing all of their stories and their pointers of how to relax through contractions and labor in general. Everyone gave the birthing tub high marks for aiding with relaxation and helping labor progress. I was really excited to hear that since the 'birthing tub fairies' came and dropped off my tub on the front porch a few days ago!!! I have already sat in it and am so happy to have found out that I actually feel SMALL in it, which is quite a task these days....I even feel HUGE in our king sized bed for heaven's sake....
So, all the mothers and their little ones were walking around, eating yummy snacks and just enjoying each other's company. It was a very fun and festive event and a lot more women showed up than I had originally thought. There were only two other pregnant women there, and one of them is due this Friday. It was funny how many women were asking when I was due and the look on their faces when I responded with 'tomorrow.' I got the best compliment while I was there as well (which is so uplifting when you are 40 weeks pregnant), a mother told me that she never really believed or had seen the 'pregnancy glow' until she met me today. She said that I literally was glowing. I didn't have the heart to tell her it was because I decided to order HOT tea, and I was already sweating bullets from walking across the street from the parking lot to the coffee house......either way, she is my favorite human for weeks at this point.

So, I am still waiting, still in limbo, and still preggo. Thanks to everyone for all the phone calls and the funny stories about how 'ready' everyone is for this little man to arrive. Carrie told me that she already has her bag packed and will jump in her car as soon as I call her. I guess everyone is on 'high alert!'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well I guess you got the due date wrong! anymore predictions? I admire your home birth...if i have a baby I will do that too, i think.

Anonymous said...

He looks so beautiful! I can't believe it's real...your a mother!

the lovely ladies

the lovely ladies
my wonderful friends!

me and daz

the hostess with the mostess

Tracey, me and Ma

ultrasound 34 weeks

ultrasound 34 weeks
lennox henson